Six key factors in selecting a pay-at-the-table solution
The traditional payment process for restaurants has servers taking cash or a card for payment at the table and walking back and forth to the POS. This process is time-consuming, inefficient, and has the potential to ruin what otherwise would be a great guest experience. All of us have had the experience of trying to get a server's attention to get the bill. Some may also have had the experience of waiting too long for the server to return with the credit card and payment slip, while the servers are bunched up at the POS to close out payment. The ideal payment solution frees up the server's time and allows guests to pay when and how they want right at the table with a secure payment device or with their own smartphones.
A pay-at-the-table solution can allow the guest to complete payment in less than a minute, rather than waiting 10-15 minutes for their bill. With the right solution, the guest is in control of the payment experience, and a server doesn't need to hover awkwardly over the guest while waiting for the tip entry and payment. Most importantly, a secure pay-at-the-table solution encrypts card information instantly so the guests and the restaurant aren't at risk if a POS system is ever breached.
The right pay-at-the-table solution results in a better overall guest experience and more efficient use of a wait staff time. Servers are freed up to generate more revenue. Guests are left with a positive payment experience, and better guest satisfaction can result in higher tips for servers.
Ultimately, the right pay-at-the-table solution elevates the guest and server experience, which increases loyalty to the restaurant. A brief survey after payment can provide valuable real-time guest feedback from a paying customer. This data can be used to enhance customer loyalty and improve staff performance.
There are six key factors to consider when evaluating pay at the table solutions:
1) Guest experience. The right pay-at-the-table solution empowers your guests with the freedom to choose when and how to pay, eliminates the need for a server to hover, and enables guests to end the dining experience on a more positive note.
2) Ease of use. Your dining guests want a quick, easy, and convenient payment experience that doesn't interfere with the wonderful meal they have just finished. The right payment solution should be simple to navigate and easy to pay with credit cards, debit cards, a cell phone, cash, or a gift card, all in under a minute.
3) Safety and security. The best pay-at-the-table solution provides EMV security and point-to-point encryption. Ideally, the solution integrates directly with your POS rather than connecting through a third-party cloud-based solution that relies on a stable internet connection. Direct integration means safer and more reliable transactions that will instill confidence and trust in your staff and your guests.
4) Restaurant efficiencies. The right pay-at-the-table solution frees up the server from the payment process to spend more time up selling to other guests or turning tables faster.
5) Reporting and insights. In today's world, it's important to engage with guests to retain happy customers and make them advocates for your business. Capturing customer contact info and customer feedback seamlessly in the payments process allows for building repeat visits and guest loyalty. The ideal pay at table technology solutions will enhance your ability to engage with guests either by capturing email from an electronic receipt or by providing you with insight into the customers' experience in real-time.
6) Results. Implementing the ultimate pay-at-the-table solution will result in increased revenue, better operational efficiencies, improved guest satisfaction and loyalty, and a quick return on your investment.
Read more on the TableSafe pay-at-the-table and touchless solutions and TableSafe Advantage.